It's Halloween

There are 93 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 24,783 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Can't believe this - here I post about how we used to tip outhouses over on Halloween as a trick, figuring no one would know what an outhouse was. Now I find out many people on the board not only know what they are but have used them. Beg your pardon, folks, for assuming y'all were too young to know how us old codgers used to live. :teeth_smile:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi All

What will everyone on this board be getting up to on Halloween? Perhaps some don't even recognise this festival.

I usually getting treated to a delicious dinner of bacon, eggs, sausages and boxty followed by home made apple pie and custard.

In addition to this I always like to watch a good horror movie and this year I will be going out on Halloween night to a friends birthday.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• i will be sitting with all the lights off so the kids dont come trick or treating all night long. this halloween rubbish really does get my back up and id ban it if i could

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

• My daughter is getting married on Halloween. It has always been her dream. Guests will be dressed up and it looks like it will be fun for all.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• i will be sitting with all the lights off so the kids dont come trick or treating all night long. this halloween rubbish really does get my back up and id ban it if i could

I couldn't agree more.

The problem is my wife who, although she's 70 years old, enjoys that stuff more than the kids, I think. She loves all the holidays whereas I'm a Bah-Humbug sort. :biggrin:

I totally agree, it seems to have got out of hand in the UK,
    with constant hassle at the door.
    Also over here, in some towns and cities, is the underlying threat of intimidation or damage,
    to property or vehicles if you don't play along!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I totally agree, it seems to have got out of hand in the UK,
    Also over here, in some towns and cities, is the underlying threat of intimidation or damage,

It has been that way in America since I was little in the 60's. I took part in the mischief night the night before halloween. If someone did not give candy they got the max damage. Nothing like lighting manure in a paper bag on the front stoop and seeing the person come out the door and stomp on the bag.:))):
    Even though I personally do not agree with halloween, we do hand out candy to the kids. This way we get to at least know the neighbors by sight if not by name. Our Church does like yours Lt. Brannigan and has a harvest party.

• I totally agree, it seems to have got out of hand in the UK,

If that happened where I was at, I would be sitting outside in a very dark place with my Shotgun-w/ shells loaded with Rock Salt. The Cops wouldn't say anything about that if the Shotgun had to "clear it's throat" a time or two.

Here though, we had no kids come by last year though we had 4 largs bags of candy-which my Brother was unfortunate enough to have to devour all by his self because I coudn't have that kind of suger flowing through my veins because of last years operation. This year, I bought one large bag of those tiny Tootsie Rolls and I can actually have some candy if I wish-but still not much. This bag of candy ought to last me at least a month-that is-providing no kids come by.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I couldn't agree more.

The problem is my wife who, although she's 70 years old, enjoys that stuff more than the kids, I think. She loves all the holidays whereas I'm a Bah-Humbug sort. :biggrin:

sounds like we are the same kind of person Stumpy,i've been called a bah-humbug bloke as well and a miserable so and so.
    the only ones i like are Christmas and Bonfire Night

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

• In the spirit of the season . . . I thought you'd get a chuckle out of this -

moon pumpkin.jpg
    Note - though the photo shows up in the original post, you have to click "attachment" above to see the funny picture

Thanks, gt, for bringing back this seasonal thread!

I think the Mrs. and the kids are going to a friend's house for dinner and trick-or-treating. I may go with them, or just stay at home in the quiet house . . . I haven't decided yet.

Chester :newyear:

I thought I'd revive this thread (and merge it with Robbie's recent one), to keep all the Halloween posts together. At the same time, just for the heck of it, I read this thread from the beginning, and it was pretty fun reading (also figured I'd revive the pumpkin carving post (in the first quote above)).

And . . . here's a 'new' pic for this year (although I'm sure you've all seen it before -
    pmpkns that drink too much.jpg

Finally - the Mrs. informs me we have received an invitation similar to last year, to go to a friend's house for potluck dinner and costume party. Wonder what I'll be???

Chester :newyear:

• Halloween is my favourite time of year - i love all the stuff about witches and pumpkins and the cold pitch black nights just add to the feeling:teeth_smile:

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• Halloween is my favourite time of year - i love all the stuff about witches and pumpkins and the cold pitch black nights just add to the feeling:teeth_smile:

I like this time of the year too, its a bit of fun and I love cold winter nights and how great everywhere looks in the Autumn.

Its when these festivals become overly commercial that is when the fun ends.

Regards
    Robbie

• I like this time of the year too, its a bit of fun and I love cold winter nights and how great everywhere looks in the Autumn.

Its when these festivals become overly commercial that is when the fun ends.

I love the weather this time of year - it's just the holidays I could do without. I don't even like Christmas because as Rob says, it along with the other holidays have become far too commercialized.

• I love the weather this time of year - it's just the holidays I could do without. I don't even like Christmas because as Rob says, it along with the other holidays have become far too commercialized.

I spotted a new store in a local town today simply called "The Christmas Shop," presumably stocked with overpriced tat that most people feel they need to have in their homes over the Christmas period.

Regards
    Robbie

• I am like you Bill not caring for the dark side of Halloween. Working retail ruined Christmas for me, and now being away from it the anticipation of Christmas is coming back.
    The one holiday overlooked is Thanksgiving. The one that points to thanking God and yet since there is not commercial value outside of selling a turkey it gets forgotten accept for football games and eating good food.

• The one holiday overlooked is Thanksgiving. The one that points to thanking God and yet since there is not commercial value outside of selling a turkey it gets forgotten accept for football games and eating good food.

Thanksgiving is the only holiday I really enjoy because it's not commercialized nearly as much as the others and it's primarily an occasion for family members to gather and visit.

For many years the wife and I hosted big family reunions at Thanksgiving but since I don't cook and her age and health are no longer up to the task (when you cook a meal for 20 or 30 people, it turns into a lot of work), we've stopped having the family get-togethers at our house.