Random Observations

There are 1,240 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 340,417 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Will you ensure that all posts relating to Politics, are posted in the appropriate thread, where any discussion can take place

Permit me to interject a remark here. When I posted the comment that set off this disagreement among some of us, I did not regard it as particularly relevant to "politics". That was why I posted it in this thread instead of the Politics thread.

I was merely voicing an opinion concerning the newpaper article to which I linked that said the US was likely to lose its' place of prominence in world affairs, (a development that would tickle the heck out of me, an ardent isolationist and nationalist).

While we're on the subject, I'd like to know why it is that board moderators (and I guess Kevin too) regard any hint of disagreement among board members as akin to leprosy. Do you guys actually believe that people in this world are all one big happy family? If so, you're living in a dream world of your own making.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• This past weekend I developed an excruciating toothache, which is probably caused by an impacted tooth, the pain of which can be relieved by a pain killer and/or an antibiotic.

The small town in which I live doesn't have a fulltime dentist; only a guy who comes one day a week, usually on Thursdays (naturally, the Thanksgiving holiday, which means no dental service this week).

Soooo, this morning I went to the office of my primary care provider, told his receptionist about my problem, and asked if Dr. X would prescribe a pain killer and an antibiotic. He is, after all, a doctor and can write prescriptions. She (the receptionist) said that since Dr. X is not a dentist, he would not write the needed prescriptions. I said, "So what am I to do, suffer this terrible pain all week until the dentist comes to town again?" She said, "Well, you can go to the ER (of our county hospital)" I said, "The on-call doctor at the ER is not a dentist either but you're telling me that he can prescribe the needed medications - that doesn't make sense".

The medical profession's Hippocratic Oath states "First, do no harm". It seems to me that if a doctor has it within his power to prescribe the medicine which will relieve the severe pain of one of his patients, and chooses not to do so because the pain is caused by an ailment outside his specific area of expertise, he is causing harm. What say you?

• Hey guys,

I'm late to the party here (been out of pocket for a few days), and missed the action. :ohmy:

I suggest going forward that anything political be posted the the Politics thread and use this thread as a more general "non-political" subject matter. This may kill this thread as alot of what's been posted in this thread touches on politics, I for one am burned out on politics having lived thru the longest political campaigns in history. So I can understand people's wanting to avoid it for whatever reason, that's why we clearly have a thread dedicated to that subject matter.

Thanks for your understanding.

Kevin

• While we're on the subject, I'd like to know why it is that board moderators (and I guess Kevin too) regard any hint of disagreement among board members as akin to leprosy. Do you guys actually believe that people in this world are all one big happy family? If so, you're living in a dream world of your own making.

"akin to leprosy" :glare: Not hardly, just moving us along down the road. No need to let this spiral out of control further. Everyone has view points and that has been clearly stated, so I suggest that we move the discussion offline or to the appropriate thread or Social group.

• The medical profession's Hippocratic Oath states "First, do no harm". It seems to me that if a doctor has it within his power to prescribe the medicine which will relieve the severe pain of one of his patients, and chooses not to do so because the pain is caused by an ailment outside his specific area of expertise, he is causing harm. What say you?

I weigh in on your side of this one! How long have you been going to this doctor?? And your argument that the doctor at the ER is no more a dentist than your doctor . . . did that fall on deaf ears? :glare: The receptionist thought you should take up time and resources at the local ER for a painkiller for a toothache? :angry: What was she thinking? :mad: I think you should have demanded to speak to the doctor himself! Maybe you have to make an appointment, for a different 'ailment', so you can speak directly to the doctor, about some pain that is remarkably like a toothache so he prescribes the right thing. :angry_smile:

Can you tell I'm :angry:?!?!

How did you resolve this? Did you resolve it in any way? Are you still in terrible pain? Have you researched natural remedies for toothache on the Internet as a stopgap until the dentist returns to town?

Mrs. C :angel1:

• I wanted to add my tuppence worth to this topic, to me it is a storm in a tea cup. I don't think there is a need for excessive moderation on this forum, this tiff is the first disagreement in many months and adds some normality to the board.

I once advocated a blanket ban on politics on the forum, however as Jim correctly advised me everything is connected to politics and 90% of the topics on this forum relate to politics to some degree, often we don't realise we are discussing politics.

What I am suggesting is a common sense approach, as some may have noticed I am not as active on this forum as I once was, I have joined a new forum which is quite important to me, it is heavily moderated and bans text talk, swearing and trolling etc, this type of discipline I do like. What has happened with this thread is very low level, I feel that both Elly's and Jim's comments should be left, however if one comment is removed the other must also be removed for the sake of parity.

There will be more arguments in the future between members, its naive to think we are the web equivalent to the Waltons, disagreements and arguments are good and moderators should only step in if absolutely necessary.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I can see everyone's point here. I think we can leave it at, just keeping the appropriate comments in the correct threads. And if someone doesn't agree with a comment, just leave it alone and move on from it.

Just one other comment. I love the Waltons.......

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I can see everyone's point here. I think we can leave it at, just keeping the appropriate comments in the correct threads. And if someone doesn't agree with a comment, just leave it alone and move on from it.

Just one other comment. I love the Waltons.......

Hey Vipe, aren't the Walton's great?

You know what I miss is the great opportunities we have here in this world to make a difference. We may be a lot of folks out there with different views and outlooks, but we have one common ground, and this is the ability to celebrate life. It is so precious! If you really think about it, we are living in the greatest time of our lives right now. We have families who love us, we have our health, we have passions (very evident with the members here on this board), we have our dreams, and most of all we have a savior who took the time to love and sacrifice so we can be who we are now.

I can't get past the idea that when I read these posts and threads, it would be so easy to delete things here, or close posts. And really nobody can do anything about it (except mods and admin), but what I mean is we have freedoms here to express ourselves without being silenced. It is your responsibility as well when you post that you care about who you communicate with. Many times I have found myself saying things both in writing and speaking, that comes out wrong or incorrect. I am responsible for my actions. You are responsible for your actions as well.

This is not a threat, but just a reminder that we have to show maturity in all our acts. I wish you good fortunes.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Yeah Stumpy, I thought that is what you were talking about. And I agree with you. This is the most ridiculas thing I've ever heard in my life. Not the pardon but the conviction. I heard they will be released in March. I may be wrong at what I heard. They need our support and I hope we will do that for them. This was wrong, Wrong, WRONG!

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Anyone with a smidgeon of foresight could have seen this coming.

I imagine most people are about like me and long ago bought discs of all their favorite films. We therefore regard Blu-ray and all the other "improvements" as just another very expensive way to pry money from those of us who are extremely skeptical, and weary, of all these so-called technical innovations that supposedly improve our viewing experience.

As it says in the last two or three sentences of this article, Blu-ray is probably a lost cause with film fans.

• Stumpy,

I read another article that predicted that Blu-ray probably wouldn't last more than a few years anyway. Heck I still have a VCR player. Be careful burning VCRs to CD or DVD. They won't last more than about 6 years.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• I've heard that there is a box the size of a DVD case, maybe a little thicker that is going to be the next phase of movie video entertainment. First of all, you will be able to download over 8000 movies on this device, and second, you will be able to put what ever movie you want on it. This will be place on a port anywhere, and you will be able to see your favorite movie anytime.

I think we would be able to download all John Wayne movies, as well as James Stewart, and Cary Grant. Then you will be able to load many more movies. I'm not sure when this will be out, but I heard in the next few years. Not sure about the price. But if you wanted to keep two or three of these devices that would be somewhere around 25,000 movies in your collection. I think that would cover the westerns and war movies out there.

I was very interested in purchasing a Blu-ray player, but I think I'll wait. I'm not ready for downloading online. My computer is somewhat out of date right now, and may have to update my computer in the next 12 months. My windows operating unit is the ME edition (I missed the XP edition debut just by a couple of days). So I am looking for ways to get into the 21st century in the coming months. ME has been a pain in the neck. Thanks Stumpy for the article.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

- John Wayne quote

• Be careful burning VCRs to CD or DVD. They won't last more than about 6 years.

Is that true? Why only 6 years? Do they just degrade even if not played much? I must confess...I know little about it, but my wife got me a DVD-Video player that copies both ways for Christmas. I thought I finally found a way to keep my taped stuff forever. Bummer.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Mark,

I have heard many rumors on this subject and the so-called experts telling me how long these DVD-R/DVD-RW will last. When I started my DVD collection in 1997, I was told that DVDs would only last 8 years. It was some time later that I heard the life span of the DVD-R/DVD-RW. The explanation is that the oxidation would corrupt the disc and cause it to not function.

At this time I have not seen any evidence that they will ever wear out. I have my first DVD since December 1997, and my first DVD-R since early 2002. They are both in working order, and I see no deterioration in them. I don't watch them all the time nor do I watch them that much, but they are in good shape. That is the only "expert" advice I can give you. I hope this helps.

Cheers :cool:

- John Wayne quote

• I have got rid of most of my VHS, but that's only cause I have them on DVD already. I never watch VHS anymore cause some of the tapes are irreplaceable and I don't want them to get torn up, so until I get a device to transfer them to DVD that's compatible with Vista (The devil incarnate) they are in storage.

• The only reason that I made the very expensive switch from tapes to discs was the widely-publicized information that they would last forever without deterioration. Now you're saying they won't???