Question

There are 23 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,324 times. The latest Post () was by Hondo Duke Lane.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hello :rolleyes:

In my personal claims B) I would say Ward Bond and Ben Johnson are the two best actors that supported the Duke :rolleyes: I have looked high and low :unsure: Did both of these great actors ever do a movie together with the Duke :huh: If yes then I guess I'm just blind :rolleyes:

Monique ;)

• Yes, they did - although Ben isn't visible in his first efforts. He was an extra in Tall in The Saddle. In Fort Apache he worked as a stuntman and first caught the eye of John Ford who then used him in Three Godfathers - a small part, but Ben was quite good. Probably the finest of Ward and Ben together would be Ford's masterpiece Wagonmaster.

• itdo :rolleyes:

Thank you very much for the information B) Like I said I must be blind I looked all over :ph34r:

Monique ;)

• Monique,

You're not blind, it's info that's not that easy to find. Even with IMDb's search for joint ventures, I had to remember to check the little box that says "Match all occupations" to get all three movies itdo mentioned.

In Tall in the Saddle, Ben Johnson is only an extra, and personally I don't find him that easy to pick out anyway, unlike Ward Bond. Once I got familiar with Ward Bond, it was surprising all the movies I saw him in (one of the most surprising places was in It's A Wonderful Life, where he plays Bert the cop).

Chester

• Chester

I agree with you on that, Ward Bond has made quite a few movies many of them classics such as

1. Its a Wonderful Life (What a great movie)
    2. Gone with the Wind
    3. Young Mr Lincoln
    4. The Grapes of Wrath
    5. Sergeant York
    6. Maltese Falcon
    7. They were Expendable
    8. My Darling Clemintine
    9. Fort Apache
    10. The Quiet Man
    11. Hondo
    12 Searchers
    13 Rio Bravo

A repertoire like that is a fitting tribute to this fine character actor.

B)

Regards
    Robbie

• I just stumbeled across this interesting information about Ward Bond. We all know that 1939 was a special era for movies with the release of such classics as "Gone with the Wind", "Stagecoach" and "The Wizard of Oz" to name but three. Ward Bond in that year played 21 different roles in 21 different movies, all I can say is wow :o and well done that is quite impressive.

B)

Regards
    Robbie

• Monique,

According to imdb, they appeared in only three movies together.

They were:

1. 3 Godfathers (1948)
    2. Tall in the Saddle (1944)
    3. Wagon Master (1950)

I thought they were in more movies together.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Your Right Robbie,

What an amazing year for Bond. He made more moives than Duke. Most were supporting roles. But they do count, don't they Chester?

Here is a list of the movies he was in that year.

1. Cisco Kid and the Lady, The (1939) .... Walton
    2. Gone with the Wind (1939) .... Tom (Yankee captain)
    3. Drums Along the Mohawk (1939) .... Adam Hartman
    4. Heaven with a Barbed Wire Fence (1939) .... Hunk
    5. Dust Be My Destiny (1939) (uncredited) .... Thug
    6. Frontier Marshal (1939) .... Town Marshal
    7. Waterfront (1939) .... Mart Hendler
    8. Girl from Mexico, The (1939) .... Mexican Pete, the Wrestler
    9. Young Mr. Lincoln (1939) .... John Palmer Cass
    10. Kid From Kokomo, The (1939) .... Ladislaw Klewicki
    ... aka Orphan of the Ring (1939) (UK)
    11. Return of the Cisco Kid (1939) .... Accused rustler
    12. Union Pacific (1939) (uncredited) .... Tracklayer
    13. Confessions of a Nazi Spy (1939) (uncredited) .... American Legionnaire
    14. Mr. Moto in Danger Island (1939) .... Sailor Sam (wrestler)
    ... aka Danger Island (1939)
    ... aka Mr. Moto on Danger Island (1939) (UK)
    15. Dodge City (1939) .... Bud Taylor
    16. Trouble in Sundown (1939) .... Dusty
    17. Oklahoma Kid, The (1939) .... Wes Handley
    18. Pardon Our Nerve (1939) .... Kid Ramsey
    19. Made for Each Other (1939) (uncredited) .... Jim (pilot)
    20. They Made Me a Criminal (1939) .... Lenihan
    ... aka I Became a Criminal (1939)
    ... aka They Made Me a Fugitive (1939)
    21. Son of Frankenstein (1939) (uncredited) .... Gendarme at gate

......And none with Duke that year. But he was in Gone With The Wind which I didn't know.
    Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I watched GWTW earlier this year and thought I saw him but wasn't sure. Now I know. Thanks guys. He played a Union Officer who came to round up some conspiritors but was foiled. Great movie!!! dukefan1

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

Thanks guys :unsure: I don't know what I would do without you all :huh: I get frustrated,brainlock sometimes behind this PC :P Tell myself well ask the stupid question B) then WAM!The cavalry to the rescue :unsure:

Monique ;)

Originally posted by Hondo Duke Lane@Aug 14 2003, 11:54 PM
    He made more movies than Duke. Most were supporting roles. But they do count, don't they Chester?

They absolutely count! I was just referring to the joint ventures with John Wayne, Ben Johnson, and Ward Bond, which numbered only three.

Finding out that he was in Gone With the Wind was a surprise to me, too.

1935 was a busy year for Ward Bond as well - he made 29 movies that year! All told, including uncredited roles, he was in 183 movies in the '30s - that's more than John Wayne made in his whole life - I had no idea Ward Bond had done so much!

Chester

Originally posted by Monique@Aug 15 2003, 04:46 AM
    Tell myself well ask the stupid question B) . . .

Monique,

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked. How else will you get the answer? It's likely somebody around here will have the answer, or at least know where to find it, as has been demonstrated time after time.

:)

Chester

Originally posted by chester7777@Aug 15 2003, 09:26 AM
    They absolutely count! I was just referring to the joint ventures with John Wayne, Ben Johnson, and Ward Bond, which numbered only three.

Actually, the three only made two movies together. Duke was not in Wagon Master in 1950.

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

Originally posted by Robbie@Aug 15 2003, 06:53 PM
    Hondo it wouldnt be right to count all Ward Bond roles as a lot were uncredited but still be was a good solid actor.

B)

Robbie,

We all been debating about movies, and making appearances on screen. If it is only a cameo appearance as appearing as themsleves or as uncredited as a character in the plot with no signicant role, it counts as an appearance in a film. That would include a line or two or no line spoken. But as my old friend Chester has pointed out time after time, it counts.

The thing we (Chester and I) agree to is a scene where a movie is shown with characters shown. We don't count that as an appearance. This is a movie, not a personal appearance.

So that is only a matter of opinion, but imdb counts it, so that is what we base that on.

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

Geez Guys :unsure: Thanks for all the great info off one small question :rolleyes:

Monique ;)

Originally posted by Hondo Duke Lane+Aug 15 2003, 04:55 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hondo Duke Lane @ Aug 15 2003, 04:55 PM)</div>

Actually, the three only made two movies together. Duke was not in Wagon Master in 1950.

Cheers, Hondo B) [/b]

Hondo,

They actually were in three movies together, but in Fort Apache, Ben Johnson was listed under "Stunts", so when you do the joint venture search for actors, listing all three names, only two titles come up - The 3 Godfathers and Tall in the Saddle. In order to get all three films, you have to check the little box "match all occupations".

I figure if Ben Johnson did stunts, he might have appeared in scenes with the Duke and Ward Bond. :rolleyes:

Chester

• Now, now Chester,

Are we spliting hairs or what. Usually stunt people are doubling for some major actors, or doing a scene that gives us the effects for the movie. That cannot be included in a movie. It is also listed not in the cast, but as stunt people and uncredited at that.

I will conceed that you did say joint ventures as I read that post again. But I bet they (Duke, Bond, Johnson) did more joint ventures together other than the three.

I'm sticking with my two.

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• Araner, I would have to disagree there although Ward Bond was good I feel he was far from the best character actor. i would rate James Stewart, Ray Milland and Walter Brennan and others all ahead of Bond although he is very good.

B)

Regards
    Robbie