What was the last book you read or are currently reading?

There are 134 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 30,790 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I thought i'd ask this sort of as an off-spring to the two last movies topics. I have been wondering what people around hear like to read and what they last read a book about.

For me, since im an WWII Eastern Front fan, I just bought 5 books dealing with the War in Russia as well as the Red Army. These books are:

Armies of the Bear vol 1 (which comes in three parts) Soviet Rifle Divisions 1917-1957. Each part gives you the history for each Rifle Division from 1-25, 26-50 and 51-75-respectively. Along with about an average of a 6 or so page history of each Rifle Dvision, you get the divisions commanders names, the awards each division earned etc. I forget th e name off the Author off-hand but--these books are considered THE best books on Soviet Rifle Divisions, having a relative smallish print run and are quickly becoming extremely hard to get. The cost is relatively cheap per book (for the moment)-but worth it.

I also got the book: "Island of Fire" by Australian Author and resident expert on the Battle of Stalingrad--Jason Mark. The book was only recently released-and the hardcover edition is already sold out-but on the secondary market-you can get a copy for as low as $150.00. However, if you don't want to spend that amount for a book, the softcover book is still available for the time being. This book details the day-by-day fighting for the Barracady, Red October and the third factory-between a German Infantry Division, and a Soviet Rifle Division.

Last but not least, I also got another book that is an excellent read and was Authored by a Red Army Penal Company Commander Alexander Pyl'cyn. This book is called: Penalty Strike" and is rapidly being sold out but is still easy to get a copy of for the time being. Also since I started reading it last night-starting at midnight since I couldn't sleep. I finally forced myself to put it down and was amazed that it was at 3:30 in the morning ;-))

Anyway, whats the last book you all have read?

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I have three books going now:

"Haunted Homeland" by Norman Micheals (a book of Ghost stories)
    "Outlaw Tales" by Richard and Judy Dockery Young (legends, myths and folklore from Americas west)
    "Tales Of Zorro" by Various (collection of new Zorro stories)

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Reading the Lonesome Dove series: Dead Man's Walk, Comanche Moon, Lonesome Dove, and Streets of Laredo. Reading them out of order though. Saved the best for last: Lonesome Dove!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Monseur, you are a LuLu!" (The Comancheros)

• Hey Ringo,

Good to see ya back here.

I read a LOT...The last book was, "Rise to the Divinity Within You." Usually I am reading 3-4 books at a time. This Tuesday I am getting the manuscript of an author friend, Sarah Hinze; it's her latest book in which she mentions some things about me. She wants my input before it goes to the publisher...Sort of surreal to me.

I love books, they're such a splendid method of escape for me.

Cheers,

Cindy

• I have started book to the movie The Searchers. It has been good, the charactor in the book that was Ethan Edwards goes by the name Amos Edwards in the story. They dont really give Amos(Ethan) quite the mysterious back ground in the book as in the movie unless it comes up later. In the story Amos Edwards is kinda a loner and a drifter, and free spirit. I believe that the movie made Ethan Edwards a tougher darker charactor than in the book from what i can tell. But that may change. I believe the movie had many improvement over the book for my taste. I like the dark, tough Ethan Edwards.

• Well, lets see... I read my Bible almost every day and I mostly stick to Christian books these days. Like Victory over darkness and the Bondage Breaker, both outstanding books. I have heard that "The Shack" is a very good book, I may read that soon... Other than that, I love everything that Douglas Adams wrote.

I have also been working on trying to write something about what I have been through as a single father raising four kids, but I'm not much of a writer and I seem to stop shortly after I start, but you never know I may get something written some day...

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Reading Roger Moore's book My Word is my Bond. Very witty. His trailer advertising his book on play.com is hilarious. "If you like my book tell the world if you dont please keep it to yourself"

• Hi Cindy and all, thanks for the replies with good non-war subjects. I'll hoefully soon be getting in more titles-but this time referance ooks and one or more printed in German.

Cindy, it's nice to finally be back ;-)) even if only a bit sporadically. I'v got an extremely huge WWII project that I will be starting and hopefully with the help of a few friends of mine/experts on the subject. This project will eventually have the name of every soldier who recieved the Medal of Honor, the Victoria Cross, the George Cross (includes ladies) Knights Cross Recipients-all some 7,380 or so, German Cross in Gold Recipients estimated to number between 27,000-odd to as many as 33,000 some odd recipients and finally, every soldier who won the Close Cmbat Clasp in Gold--some 500+++ strong. When this is all done with-Iwill be adding every recipient of the Pour le Merite,and hopefully by then, im hoping to get info on every Soviert recipient of the Hero of the Soviet Union-award-some 12,000++ odd recipients.

Ambitious--yes, impossible---no. ;-))

• Hi Bill, I read a few pages from it on occasion and admit not often enough. To me, the Bible is the all-time best book ever published-as the Bible should be ;-))

PS, just made a successful transaction for a book in German, listing every man who won the Close Combat Clasp in Gold (aka) Ehrenblattspange in Gold. In order to be eligable for this award, a soldier has to have 50 days being in combat-not equalling days spent on the front lines.

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• i read books writen by Robert Ludlum when i can find them at the price i want to pay,
    have just finished reading "The wild colonial girl" by Ann Clancy, its written about and irish lass who comes to australia just after the potatoe fammin a great read, i have also just finished reading "Endal" its about a helper dog and his owner a good read. read last week "The tatooed rats" quite a good read, we have also been doing a program called E100 where as a family we are reading 100 different passages out of the bible.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• The last book I read was "Bestie" a biography on legendary footballer George Best, it was a reasonable book but when I finished it I was left with mixed opinions on the footballer.

The best book I have read as of late was "True Grit," it was a superb, thoroughly enjoyable and highly authentic story; the book was kindly given to me by the legendary Stumpy.

I am currently reading a book called "1914 -1918," it is quite heavy reading its about the first world war, Carl amongst others on this forum may be interested in it.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I'm about to start Lone Star Justice" The First 100 Years of the Texas Rangers by Robert Utley. I usually read 2-3 books at a time. (One in the bathroom, one in the living room, and one on my nightstand.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Monseur, you are a LuLu!" (The Comancheros)

• im reading Victoria Cross Heroes. a book about a man who has collected Victoria Crosses.
    the book also tells you about the men who won the Victoria Cross and how they got their medal dating back to the Crimean War in 1856.
    since 1856 only 1355 Victoria Crosses have been awarded

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

• Im still reading Island of Fire-which is a very thick and well-detailed book. Australian Author Jason Mark does an excellent job with how he presents everything you can possibly think of wanting in a book such as this.

When this one is over, im going to be reading Elite of the Third Reich--which is a book printed by Helion books of England. After that-will be the Ehrenblattspange book by Michael Dorr and hopefully soon after that one will be the book listing all 27-33,000 Deutschekreuzes in Gold Recipeints.

After these I think will be the excellent Werner Haupt trilogy about the Eastern Front.