WESTERN OSCARS

There are 13 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,370 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Chance,

Are we talking about oscars for western best picture or everything about western oscars?

Hondo :huh:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I know Dances With Wolves won a few including best picture. Unforgiven won at least one. Lonesome Dove also won some I think. Also, I think Silverado was nominated for best cinematography but I'm not sure about that one. That's all I've got off the top of my head Hondo.

Northerner

• I know that Stagecoach has won some Oscars and further:
    The Alamo is nominated for 6 oscars but has won nothing
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid
    Dances with Wolves
    Unforgiven
    High Noon
    and that was It so fa I know.

jwfan

• One of the best deserved oscars in Westerns went to the cinematographer of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Winton C. Hoch (next to William Clothier one of the best to shoot Wayne pictures, in my opinion).

Shane won a well deserved Oscar for photography as well (it was also nominated for Best Picture and Best Director among other categories)

How The West Was Won took three: for Editing, Screenplay, and Sound.

The one oscar The Alamo got was for Best Sound (not to be mistaken with the work of the composer).

For composing Dimitri Tiomkin won two for High Noon: Best Score and Best Song

Butch Cassidy won for Best Screenplay, Best Music and Best Song (Raindrops)

Stagecoach took home the Oscars for Best Music and Best Supporting Actor.

The more recent ones:
    Glory won Denzel Washington the Best Supporting Actor Oscar, as well as one for photography and Sound department

Unforgiven got 4, Dances with Wolves 7.

Legends of the Fall - if you want to count it in as a kind-of-Western, won for Best Cinematography.

I think the first Western to get a Best Picture Oscar was Cimarron in 1934, as well as getting the Best Screenplay and Best Art Direction Oscars.

That's not all, but an overall view will get you the impression that Westerns most often - if at all - won for Photography.

• True Grit
    Butch Cassidy and the sundance kid
    High Noon
    Dances With Wolves
    Unforgiven
    Stagecoach
    The Alamo was nominated for 6 but won nothing
    Shane
    and some others but I cant remember there names

• Might be interesting to see a complete list with dates.

Greetings from North of the 49th

Edited once, last by kilo 6: did not see the old thread tick box and was testing ().

• The Alamo won 1 Oscar for Best Sound

• Only 3 westerns have won an Academy Award for Best Picture.

Cimarron. 1930/31
    Dances With Wolves. 1990
    Unforgiven. 1992

Interesting that westerns that are few and far between today won more Oscars for best pictures than they did back when there were many. I wonder if Gone with The Wind was considered a western? Some of you said that a movie of that kind was considered one, but just out of curiosity, I was wondering.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote