Favorite Christmas Movies

There are 85 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 19,392 times. The latest Post () was by Jay J. Foraker.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• AMEN! It is one of my all-time favorite Christmas specials. We own a set of the Peanuts holiday specials, and the Christmas season wouldn't be complete with at least one viewing of it. I have fond memories of it from my childhood (yikes! is it that old??).

Mrs. C :angel1:

Ditto on the Charlie Brown Christmas. I love the original one but don't care too much for the newer one that came out in the early 1990's.

Also, Three Godfathers w/ Duke, Ward Bond et el, is my all-time favorite Christmas movie.

A close 2nd is one that takes place during the Battle of the Bulge (Dec 1944 German Ardennes Offensive) This movie has a few G.I's who find shelter at a small farm hidden away by the woods-only to discover a war widow and her young son; alone at the farmhouse. Shortly later, a few lost German soldiers happen upon the ffarm and both sides have their weapons taken and hidden by the mother and or little boy. I forget the name of the movie but, it stars that lady who was Sarah Conner in the first two Terminator movies.

After this movie is of course: It's a Wonderful Life and then the 1st Home Alone movie. I love it when that kid puts a tarantula onto one of the burglars faces. Simply hilarious. :thumbs_up:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• That lady's name is Linda Hamilton Carl.

Look for the new Terminator series coming to TV I think next month. Its called the Sarah Conner Chronicles.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• For me it's one of the versions of "A Christmas Carol" - I agree the Alistair Sim version is the best. There's also a version from 1938 that I like.

Then there's "Scrooged" with Bill Murray

of Course "The Three Godfathers" with The Duke.

But the #1 Christmas movie for me, that I have to watch every year..."National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation"

• Ahhhhh, it appears we have another National Lampoon Christmas fan here!!!!!!:teeth_smile:

Stay thirsty my friends.

• It's a Wonderful Life (I think almost all Capra's movies are good for this time). Of course and on the first place for me - Three Godfathers with Duke and Sergeant York I guess I'd like to watch this Christmas.
    Regards,
    Senta

• If I had to pick a modern Christmas favorite, I'd have to pick Elf with Will Farrell. And I like Family Man with Nicholas Cage. Not bad movies. I have to say that WIll Farrell went down hill in his movie making since Elf.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Elf with WIll Farrell is a hilarious movie, one that the wife and I watch almost every year. I'm surprised no one mentioned how the grinch stole christmas. The new one is not bad and of course the original is great. National lampoon's is good too. I bought the dvd a couple years ago and when we watched it we were surprised by how much swearing there was in it, because we'd seen it on tv a dozen times and they took all the 'bad' stuff out!

Some new holiday specials out this year that are pretty good are the johnny cash christmas specials from 76 and 77. 77 is more christmassy but both are worth the ten bucks or so you should pay for them, especially if you are a fan!

[SIZE=3]That'll Be The Day[/SIZE]

• Not exactly a movie, but I have been watching Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer every year that I can possibly remember. I will never miss it. When I was around five years old - on Christmas Eve and just after watching this show, I was in my bed, which was situated right under the window and looked out and saw a red dot flying across the sky!!! I went screaming down the hall to wake everyone up to see Rudolph and Santa. Obviously, it was the light from a plane, but I didn't find that out until several years later!

:wink_smile:

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."

• Having seen it only once, I can't say that The Santa Clause 3 is one of my favorites, but I can say with certainty that the family certainly enjoyed it. It was fun to see Martin Short in a starring role, and amazing to see how much the different actors had aged in 12 years (I guess I have, too :wink_smile: heh, heh, heh).

Chester :newyear:

• Now that Thanksgiving is over, it is time to dust off this thread . . . .

We have a new one to add to the list, The Christmas Wish, with Debbie Reynolds and Neil Patrick Harris (remember Doogie Howser??). A wonderful tale of soul-searching, learning, forgiving, set at Christ-mas time.

I kind of wish that Debbie Reynolds had been paired with Duke (besides simply appearing in the same picture, How the West Was Won - that doesn't count). She's made some neat movies in her later years.

Of course, we are looking forward to watching all the other titles we have come to love over the years.

So for our newbies since last year, who would like to add their favorites, and for the old-timers - have you added some new holiday movies to your list of must-watch?

Chester :newyear:

• Hi

I must have missed this first time around. Beside A Christmas Carol, its A Wonderful World my favourite has to be White Christmas even with the overlong Danny Kaye Dancing segment.
    I agree with Jim about Debbie Reynolds I grew up loving her after seeing her in Tammy when I was a kid.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hello
    Of course"The Three Godfathers"with Duke is
    Good Christmas Movie.
    But for me, My favourite is "The Long Gray Line"(directed by John Ford).
    It is one of the movies seen with my late father,so gives me especially
    strong emotion.

regards,
    Taka

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• I have several favourite Christmas movies,A Christmas Carol (1951 version),
    Christmas Story,It's a Wonderful Life,Christmas Vacation,oh well,I guess I
    love all the Christmas movies.

• I'm sort of surprise that no one mentioned Home Alone. I liked the first one fine. Not a favorite but I do like it.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Any version of Scrooge earlier than 1984. George C Scott did the last good Scrooge.
    My favorite is the 1951 also with Alastair Sim.
    I have all the Scrooges older than 1984 all the way back to 1935. The 1928 and 1913 are too hard to get.
    Next time you watch the 1951 version when Scrooge looks in the mirror and goes merry Christmas near the end of the movie, look in the mirror over his left shoulder, you will see a man in the mirror.:wink_smile:

• Next time you watch the 1951 version when Scrooge looks in the mirror and goes merry Christmas near the end of the movie, look in the mirror over his left shoulder, you will see a man in the mirror.:wink_smile:

It's funny you mentioned that, ShortGrub. I just noticed this a few days ago when I watched it again. I've seen this movie a few dozen times and never noticed it before. This is my all time favorite Scrooge film out of any others. I just got a 2-disc DVD version of it at Walmart last week. It comes with a enhanced black and white version, and a colorized version. It also has the 1935 version of A Christmas Carol to "compare" against. And there are other extras I havn't watched yet, but it was only $15.00. My VCR tape was wearing out, so I snatched the DVD right up.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "