Cowboy Costner Thinks Jw Stinks

There are 13 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,829 times. The latest Post () was by Robbie.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Just read the interview Mr Costner gave to the "Spiegel"-magazine when in Berlin. At one point they asked about the chocolate-eating-scene and said that JW probably would have been disgusted of how cowboys were portrayed. Costner's answer (I'm trying to translate his answer, printed in German, back to English):

"John Wayne did a lot of stupid things. I don't think that he made all that many good movies. And there aren't that many good westerns. I have maybe seen ten that I like. I hate it when westerns take the short-cut to the showdown."

• Never did like Costner, I like him even less now. His westerns are overrated and too simplistic. His acting is weak and his movies are usually overlong although I did like field of dreams.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi

I collect memoribilla, and autographs and my favourite period in movie hisory is the 'The Golden age of Hollywood' between the thirties forty's and fifties.
    A yard stick I use when determining the worth of an actor is spring forward twenty years and see how well he is remembered.

Cooper, Gable, Bogart, Cagney, Duke still all trip of the tongue and are readily acclaimed as cinema greats.

In twenty five years time Kevin who?

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Ya know, I like to live by the saying, "We will agree to dissagree". I don't at all like what Costner said about Duke, but he has a God given right to say what he wants. I love his films like Dances with Wolves, Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, The Postman, Tin Cup, Silverado and Open Range to name a few. I think the man has tallent. So, I will agree to dissagree. We all can't like the same things. My wife loves Steven King novels. I hate them. Should she be mad at me? Should she think me a fool? I should hope not. So, Costner can say all he wants, I will just dissagree! Dukefan1

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• You know it's a shame that Costner is a better actor than a critic or film historian. He'd be looking for another job. To insult the golden age of Hollywood, and the movies like the westerns is insulting the poeple who went to see them back in those days.

It's apparent that Mr. Costner doesn't have any reguards toward the movie goer, which means that he probably thinks he above the average person. What a snob!

And I thought he might be making a change in his life when he made Open Range with Robert Duvall, by the way was a part of that idiot western gerne (though the end of that era) and happen to star with John Wayne himself in that idiot movie Ture Grit.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• All I can say on this subject is hmmm...........

I am a Costner fan and I am not doubting what itdo has translated the interview from German to English but, I think there needs to be some clarification from Costner. Maybe he was taken out of context in that interview, that happens alot now days. As humbled as Costner has been the last decade I cannot believe that he would come out and slam JW. Which in turn slams the very people that he is targeting for his just release movie, Open Range and new movie in production, Horizon.

I have sent a email to his website address, I expect to get no reply on it but, if I do you guys will be the 1st to know.

I will be the among the 1st to say if it is true and his meaning from the interview that he thinks JW did allot of stupid things "Kevin, get a grip on yourself, you are not even close to JW in box office success or popularity".

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Well "Dances with wolves" is one of my all time favorites, the story was very good and the scenery was breath taking. But to me Costner is a not very good actor. He always comes across in his movies as the same guy he was in dances with wolves, its hard to explain, but it worked in that film and doesnt in any other of his films. All his other films have left me disaapointed after I watched them, where as all of John Waynes films leave me wanting more after I watch them.
    He couldnt shine Wayne's boots.

[SIZE=1]"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."[/SIZE]~John Wayne~from the movie "The Shootist"

• I've never been a fan of Costner, and his remarks aren't likely to endear him to me. I did enjoy Open Range, and agree with SXViper's comments. It will be interesting to see if he hears back from Costner regarding that interview.

I was curious if anyone on the board can translate from English to German for me, "Kiss my royal heiney!" I'm also thinking of writing a letter to Mr. Costner ;) .

Chester :newyear:

• Never figgered translating this to y'all would cause so much trouble for poor Mr Costner! This was after all just one of his answers, the Spiegel-interview covered quite an open range, and I had the feeling right from the beginning that Costner was pissed over something. Pretty much all his answers had some swearing in them. He constantly complained about Hollywood and that it's all about money and the money-men decide what is going to be on screen. It seems it was quite a battle he fought for Open Range, to make an old-fashioned film, and for being such a maverick in such a town, I still must tip my hat, Kevin.

• hey guys and gals,

just thought that you would all like to know that this month down under we had in the movies you should be able to guess what. well for those who haven't guessed it's OPEN RANGE may get to see it don't know yet have to find out where it's showing. what did i say 6 mounths and it's here

got to have a laugh

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Itdo,

In the Open Range DVD there are 2 dvd's. On the second DVD he talks about making the movie from start to finish. And you are right about him being pissed, he was shafted by someone during the pre-production of the movie and that person took some money and never delivered on the promises made, according the Costner.
    I can understand his attitude toward Hollywood, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how hard it would be to get money to film a western in todays climate, with all the super hero, fantasy and cgi affect movies they are making. Like I said, I sent a email to him at his website and will wait to see what, if any, response he gives me.

It saddens me to think he would say that about JW, both my wife and I like Kevin and most of his movies.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I found Kevin Costners movie 'Dances with Wolves' far too simplistic and it did not give a very good reflection of the whites I feel he could have learnt a thing or two from the Searchers.

By the Way for British members 'The Missing' is comming to cinemas on February 28th I think it is regarded as a remake ambeit inferior of the searchers.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie