Hurricane Katrina 4th Strongest Atlantic Hurricane

There are 56 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 13,697 times. The latest Post () was by clancy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• hi hondo

glad to see that you are safe, hope that you hear from your friends soon and that they are safe in body and soul. it is such a shame that this had to happen they thought that they were doing the right thing with the leavy but it has turned out to had done the complete opposite. on tonights news they said that they were moving all those still there out for health reasons.

your petrol is pretty dear today we paid A$1.193 a litre maybe someone will be able to convert so we can get an idea on how much we pay in comparision to you..

look after yourself keep your chin up and think postive thoughts that your friends are safe and well

hooroo smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi smokey,
    I might be wrong about this,
    but to my reckoning.
    In Us Dollars, Australia would be paying $0.91 per litre,
    here in the UK we are paying $1.63 a litre!!
    How you would you like that price?

Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I just want to say I am glad that Hondo and the rest of you are OK. We also see the horrible pictures from where the hurricane hit. Looks like a lot of people have had their lifes ruined.

As for gasoline prices they are now about 7$ a gallon here in Norway. Quite a difference in taxes on gasoline in Europe and the US. Over half of the price is taxes and we are one of the worlds biggest oil exporters.

Regards
    Popol Vuh

• As of today, September 1, we are now paying $3.00 per gallon, and the rumour seems to be coming true, so we might be as much as you are Popol Vuh. :angry:

Seems grim at this point today, people are beginning to starve and need fresh water. I know that the media is show casing children and babies, so that is what we are seeing to think that only children are left, but I hope there is help soon. Keep them in prayer. We can't get down to Mobile right now. They have blocked roads to get there right now. So I can imagine that getting anywhere near New Orleans is impossible. We have a lot of people relocated here in our area, and we are trying to help them as much as possible. We are getting food and liquid, but other needs are needed. We are packed out here in Prattville and Montgomery, but we are not turning anyone away that I know of. So help is needed and hope. We are enjoying great weather right now, but wow these people are seeing what we are seeing and they feel hopelessness. We try to help but we can only do so much.

Just reporting in my area almost 300 miles from NO.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Mike,
    Your post indeed, makes for harrowing reading!
    I have just been watching BBC News24, and it looks grim down there in NO.
    It is difficult to ever comprehend looting, but to hear, that rescue services are being shot at, and that there are now gun battles, is frightening!
    I hope that for the safety of all concerned,
    the Government puts every available effort,
    into helping these poor unfortunate people.

My Feelings and Regards,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I think the biggest thing right now is for America not to Panic. Which is exactely what is starting to happen. I don't remember this type of panic after September 11th. It is a sad thing that has happened to NO, but people need to calm down. This is America for god sakes, we will come thru this. As for the people down in the areas effected, they will unfortunately probably never be the same. But, so were the people at ground zero almost 4 years ago. Like I said, there needs to be some level headed thinking and people just need to relax.

We are paying 2.89 a gallon, I have not heard of anymore price hikes. Like I said allot of it comes from people hitting the panic button.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi Hondo and all,
    I'm really can't imagine that desaster is so big. It is different when you hear all from the witnesses, not only from news. I hope that help will come to all that people.
    Regards,
    Vera

• hi ethan

nope i dont like them prices, where we live our state government have a deal where we are suppose to be 10cents cheaper than the other states but sometimes this doesnt work out my brother in victoria is paying A$1.26 a litre. we have a tax's on it first one for the federal government which is put on before we get it then we pay again when we fill up as we have GST at 10% they say that the federal gov (little johnny howard) is getting about 1 billion dollars from the second tax a year.

we used to have petrol at A$0.68 a litre just 4 months ago so you can understand why we get p**sed as this is a big hike in just a short time.

hooroo smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

Originally posted by Jay J. Foraker@Sep 1 2005, 10:23 AM
    The latest word is that EVERYONE is being evacuated from New Orleans and won't be allowed back for at least several months. That just boggles the mind as do the pictures coming out of the area. What infuriates me is the looting that is going on.
    That and the fact that some people are preying upon the unfortunates by hiking lodging, fuel and other prices to make a quick buck (and some of these are fellow?Texans - I am so ashamed that such avariciousness exists :(:angry: ). My heart goes out to the victims of Katarina.
    Jay :huh:

[snapback]21079[/snapback]

Hi Jay, I completely agree with you. One of my neighbors dropped off a load of supplies to the convention center in N.O and was almost carjacked. They not only took most of the supplies but threatened to stab and shoot him. He told me that his company cannot pay him enough to make another trip there. I do not blame him either.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• The magnitude of Katrina has just been overwhelming. I have seen tornados that have wiped neighborhoods off the map but this is just unbelieveable. Around here there are alot of prayers going out for the victims and donations have started. We have heard of some of the victims getting to relatives and friends safely around the state. They have put a large arena and hospitals in Wichita on alert over the next few days in case they need to bus some of the victims as far as Kansas.

As for gas we are at $3.19 per gallon. Thank goodness I drive a small car.

Baby Sis

:cowboy::cowboy::cowboy:

"Give me a man like Duke Wayne"...Marueen O'Hara

Originally posted by Baby Sister@Sep 3 2005, 07:26 PM
    As for gas we are at $3.19 per gallon. Thank goodness I drive a small car.
    Baby Sis

[snapback]21154[/snapback]

Here in New York, I just paid $3.49 for gas yesterday. And I've seen prices as high as $3.69. Ouch!!!

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• The magnitude of this terrible storm is unbelieveable and I am glad to hear that both Kevin and Mike are unharmed as a result of this.

The images shown in the UK are awful showing a city completely destructed and rife with looting, I am also concerned that the USA president is reported to have been very slow and ineffective with the relief effort I hope that this is incorrect.

I am dismayed to hear that already high petrol prices are going up again and I am at a loss to know the reason.

Overall I hope that the rescue efforts are as successful as possible and that the death rate is kept minimal.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• We actually had our gas prices go down in Minnesota. We are running as low as $2.74 and avg $2.79. This will help us for our trip to Canada. And from what the news is saying there will be no shortages in our area because we actually get 95% of our gas from Canada.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

Originally posted by Robbie@Sep 4 2005, 02:49 PM
    The magnitude of this terrible storm is unbelieveable and I am glad to hear that both Kevin and Mike are unharmed as a result of this.

The images shown in the UK are awful showing a city completely destructed and rife with looting, I am also concerned that the USA president is reported to have been very slow and ineffective with the relief effort I hope that this is incorrect.

Robbie, don't listen to all the crap the liberal media is spewing about Bush.
    I am sick and tired of the News (mainly CNN) constantly saying the President dropped the ball on this. A rescue and evacuation effort of this magnitiude cannot be automatically materialized. I heard people say that the

Shock and Awe

campaign in Iraq was immediate, so why wasn't the rescue effort? The Shock and Awe campaign was planned out way in advance, it didn't just happen The same goes for any rescue and evacuation. Plans need to be made. Places to house people need to be found. Food needs to be gathered. Water needs to be gathered. Things take time. This is just another way for the liberal media to take shots at Bush. Trees needed to get cut out of the roads to get vehicles in. Boats gathered to rescue people. It just burns me up that fingers need to be pointed. Reporters on CNN were even justifying the looting by saying the people are angry at the lack of imediate response. I am so proud of the people who pulled together to bring aid and their time to those unfortunate people down there and would rather hear about them than about our bad, nasty President who just sat there and did nothing because the people in need were poor black people. Give me a break. Let the rescuers get their job done and then we can point fingers. Now is not the time. Grow up, CNN! Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hi Mark

There is an awful lot of sense in what you have posted and you are entirely correct when you state that now is not the time for pointing fingers.

It is unfortunate that America has been plunged into this crisis and from a UK perspective the portrayal of American is very unappealing. Some of it I feel is justified I find it abhorrent that in such a crisis there is a high increase in looting, killings/murder and rape. I don't personally mind people breaking into building for food, water and clothes but stealing radios etc is pure theft although some people have stated that these items will be wasted when Orengon is completely evacuated.

I am also disappointed that some people of both colours have decided to turn this event into white oppression of blacks or vice versa this is ridickulas and should be a non issue. Saving lifes is what matters here and people of all colours are dieing racial point scoring should be left out of the equation.

I do feel to an extent that the rescue operation was ineffective and George Bush also claimed that it was 'completely unacceptable'. A large number of troops should have been deployed to Oregon immedietly after the Hurricane and I feel Mr. Bush stalled on this issue. The air operation should have been in full swing hours after the event but it is only really taken into full swing within the last number of days. I also feel Mr. Bush was very slow to understant the magnitude of the disaster and to ask other countries for help, Britian first real contribution to disaster will take place shortly with medical aids and engineers flying off this evening but in reality these people should have been sent for sooner by the president.

It should however be mentioned that there are innumerable selfless people whom will never be in the media spotlight or ever want to be whom are giving everything to the relief effort and these are the real unspoken heroes. Its just a shame there is so much incompetance and pure riff raff which is having an adverse affect on the relief effort.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

Originally posted by Robbie@Sep 5 2005, 03:57 PM
    A large number of troops should have been deployed to Oregon immedietly after the Hurricane and I feel Mr. Bush stalled on this issue. The air operation should have been in full swing hours after the event

You're a bit off on your geography, Robbie. The hurricane came ashore on the U.S. Gulf coast in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, not Oregon.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Stumpy;
    Thank you, I was so upset that I thought that I would say something that I would regret I was not going to say anything! Oregon is a long way from the U.S Gulf Coast! The last time I opened my mouth, it got kind of Nasty on this Site!!! :fear2:

I will say that I do not think that not many of us here in the U.S.A. would say anything about a Leader of another Country that had a Natural Storm of this Size. Almost the Size of Western Europe Coast Line. :angry:

Bill :cowboy:

• Hello All
    Gas went up 90 cents a gallon here in BC since Katrina landed. We are now paying $5.46 a gallon. I think thats 1.2 US gallons or about $4.55 US per gallon. We were chased out of Florida on our honeymoon in 1985, by a hurricane. There was more rain and lightening then I have ever seen. It was frightening and intimidating. Almost a million people were evacuated from St Petes and Flights were cancelled for days. We drove up to Atlanta and flew from there. Some people went out of their way to help us and it was great to experience that. I sure feel for those who had their homes flattened or flooded. Kilo

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Well, as we know, Bill, lots of people get their cookies bashing our prez. I don't pay any attention to them.

De gustibus non est disputandum