Classic Moment

There are 15 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,374 times. The latest Post () was by Hondo Duke Lane.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This one should get you all thinking. I just want one or two of your favorites. Have fun with it.
    I guess mine is from the Horse Soldiers. The scene where John climbs onto that big sorrel and blows that bridge right behind him just before the Rebs close in.

• Northerner,

You're tough! There are so many to choose from, and to pick out the best in my opinion has taken some time to think about.

I know that there is something better in my opinion, but this one sticks out in my mind right now.

The scene where Duke is sitting on the bridge in The Quiet Man, and looking at the cottage in the valley, while looking into what I think is deep thought. This is in the beginning of the movie.

Reflections are great in movies.

Hondo <_<

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hondo,

very nice. I was expecting action scenes, but I suppose that's just the first thing that jumps into my head. Your choice shows some thought.

Northerner. :D

• hi northerner,

the one that jumps right to the front is the fight where they keep sliding down the slope in McLintock, it was so funny espically when the leading lady went down as well. :D for my son unfortunely it's the ones where they are fighting the indians in the cowboy movies he likes to see them fall off their horses then tell you that they were the same ones doing it :lol:

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi Everybody!
    I agree with the sence with John Wayne in the Quiet Man! But I also like when he is sitting on his horse on the hill in Chisium, and when he says "Well, come see a fat old man some time!" then he jumps the horse over the fence. For some reason that sence makes me cry evertime, and I don't know why!
    I've got so many more sences that I like but you said only 2 so I cheated and gave you 3!

Stacy :)

• Stacy you are correct it is a touching scene because Rooster Cogburn realises that he is commig to the end of his life and he has nobody excpt a chinaman and a cat, but he can take this with grace.

Now onto favourite scences well there are so many but virtually every scene, no sorry every scene in the Searchers this film is a masterpiece, but particulary the following scenes

- John wipes the sweat of his horses back and there is a close-up on his face and the viewer can see the hurt he is feeling knowing that he has made a mistake and the woman he loves and his family are going to be killed as a result.

- John riding through the indian village at the end of the movie and coming out of scar teepee on a horse with scar scalp in his hand.

- John lifting Debbie into his arms this scene speaks for itself the greatest scene ever about racial acceptance in any movie.

- The door opening a closing at the end of the movie

- After Hary Carrey is killed we see Ethan and Martin riding in sand it then cut to snow and then they ride to a tree where Ethan has a few things to say this scene is beautiful.

- Charlie McCourbey singing skiptamaloo my darling and the viewer seeing John and Martin riding on by a sunset (also beautiful).

My second favouriter scene is Johns cool walk towards clift at the end of Red River (does he even notice the cows?).

Third - When he threaten to shoot John Agar in the Sands of Iwo Jima and then a closeup of his eyes are given where we can see that he is clearly hurting.

There are so many other great scenes but any scenes great with the Duke in it

cheers cyas

B)

Regards
    Robbie

• Stacy,

That scene with Rooster Cogburn jumping his horse over the fence is a great one (one of my favorites as well, and I can relate to bringing tears to your eyes, it does it for me), but it is at the end of True Grit, not Chisum.

Another scene from the same movie that I always enjoy is when Rooster is at one side of a meadow with the bad guys on the other side, and his comment is "Fill your hand, you son of a b****!" and then he sticks his reins in his mouth and charges forward with guns ablazing in both hands!

Chester

• That little exchange between Rooster and Lucky Ned Pepper and his gang was always my favorite! Another one is from Chisum. Duke Tells Forrest Tucker's character that he won't go see the sheriff or the Governer, he will come see him! When Murphy replies "Why Mr. Chisum, that sounds like a threat!", Chisum says "Wrong word! *PUNCH* Fact !!!! I love that scene Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hey Chester,

Yes, the scene when he jumps his horse over the fence is True Grit. But the scene in Chisium, at the very end of the movie when you see him on the hill, I love that! Thats, what I meant about those two movie scences, sorry if I confused you.

You know come to think of it, I only mentioned scenes that he doesn't speak in, but those scences speak loud and clear.

As far as speaking scenes that is hard to narrow down to just 2, so I will leave it at that!

Stacy

Thanks Chester for including me in a conversation! I really enjoy talking back and forth, it makes it so much more fun to be here! :)

• hi,
    It is not an easy question but, a good one.
    The climax in Chisum, when he is saving Billy Bonney and he rides into the town, with those music, It is great. Chisum was the first John Wayne movie I ever saw and It is still one of my favourites

In the shooting scene beneeth the bridge, in the movie The sons of Katie Elder, on the moment when one of his brothers being killed and he takes both of his colts and shoots.

And finally the climax in True Grit, I dont think I have to explain that because almost everyone has this as the favourite scene

jwfan

• Chisum, The music and the painting turning into the movie

Brian
    Tulalip Wa

• Hello :rolleyes:
    Just watched "Rio Bravo" today :rolleyes: When Colorado throws Chance the rifle has got to be a tough one to beat :cowboy:

Monique :chickawow:

• Hi!
    One scene I think of right away is when Sean finds MaryKate in his cottage(The Quiet Man) and tells her there are some things a man can't forget and goes on to tell her.
    The other scene I like is from The Searchers when Ethan is riding through the Indian camp flying really fast. I think man that has to hurt. The ending of True Grit is also a favorite. It brings tears to my eyes also.
    Little Duke

• Well it's Got to Be the "FILL YOUR HANDS YOU SOB " SCENE Fron True Grit really gets you sends SHIVERS!! down my spine absolutely MARVELOUS!!!!!! :o

"COME SEE A FAT OLD MAN SOMETIME"

• I love the scene where in Stagecoach, the Duke makes his first appearance in the John Ford classic carrying a saddle as the stagecoach rides up to the Ringo Kid. That is a great classic beginning for John Wayne coming into legendary status.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote