What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,466,815 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Finally got to watch another Roy Rogers movie (bought a few a while back á £1), King of the cowboys. It was just not very interesting, dated sort of entertainment. How can I say that, and still like Wayne's Republic pictures from the 30's? Well, first they have the Duke, which makes all the difference in the world, but also, (compared with total two Roger's I've seen so far) there's more action, wild jumps on galloping horses and rather realistic fight scenes that the Roy movies seem to lack. In King of the cowboys even the beautiful palomino was barely shown.

I don't believe in surrenders.

• Watched Bandolero with James Stewart and Dean Martin with nice addition of Kennedy as a sherif and many familiar names from maclaglen as director to Harry Carey Jr. Enjoyed all very much, only don't like the ending.
    Regards,
    Senta :rolleyes:

• Hi Senta

I always thought that about Bandolero. It starts well and is good until the very end in Mexico. Shame really. Nice performances from Jimmy Stewart, Dean Martin & Raquel Welch plus the supporting cast.

Mike

• The Great Silence (1968), wanted to refresh my memory about Klaus Kinski in his villain role (after watching all his collaborations with Herzog during the Christmas).

Corbucci's dissillusioned way to look at the world is interesting. Great pictures and visually enthralling scenes like the hungry out-laws rising as ghosts from the snow or gallop showing only the horses' feet. However, the visual story-telling is not as flawless as by Leone. Morricone's music is beautiful as always. The original end is the only possible, the alternative one, made for Asian market, would be a flop.

The actors are not bad, but their roles remain unattached and without substance, just pictures among others. The dialogue is separated from the acting. I think the main problem is in the dubbing; the movie is made in the strange Italian way that all actors speak their own languages during the shooting and the dialogue is recorded later in the studio, even for the Italian actors. It must be very demanding for the director, to get the actors to react properly to each other, without common language, and to get the right tone again during the recording. I don't think Corbucci quite knows, how.

Overall, I have the same issue as with Peckinpah, this empty feeling and unanswered question: did the director want to say something with this or was the main purpose after all to try and shock the audience with meaningless violence?

I don't believe in surrenders.

• Watched "Major Dundee" this morning. It was just like every other Sam Peckinpah movie that I have seen. In my opinion it is not as good as "The Wild Bunch".

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• The Unforgiven"
    -Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, Audie Murphy

The neighbors of a frontier family turn on them when it is suspected that their adopted daughter was stolen from the local Kiawa tribe.

Great acting, good action and an intelligent story make this a fine western adventure.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• The Big Country with Gregory Peck, a movie that is not often discussed but is truely epic in scale and wonderfully executed each scene is a real treat.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie