Cowboys And Indians

There are 18 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,190 times. The latest Post () was by Robbie.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• A good monthly magazine I recieve is "Cowboys and Indians" . Each month they cover western actors, This month was Sam Elliot. I have saved alot of back issues that cover actors such as Robert Duvall, Robert Redford, Tom Selleck, Tommy Lee Jones, Paul Newman, Glenn Ford,
    Robert Mitchum, and of course my prized back issue on John Wayne.

Monique ;)

• What issue and date was that interview with Duke. I'd like to order any back issues of that if possible. Magazines have back issues all the time, but with Duke, I bet they don't. Thanks for the info.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Goodmorning :lol: :lol:

the Website for Cowboys and Indians is http://www.cowboysindians.com The subscribtion price is 29 dollars a year.

back issue Sept. 1997 John Wayne Everything about him was Huge, A Soldier's Story

This is a real good story about John Wayne the Man :D:D:D:D:D:D it rates 6 smilies

back issue Jan. 2002 The 100 Best Westerns Ever Made

1. The Searchers.............................................................................1956
    2. Stagecoach.................................................................................1939
    3. Shane........................................................................................1953
    4. Mt Darling Clementine..................................................................1946
    5. The Magnificent Seven.................................................................1960
    6. Lonesome Dove...........................................................................1989
    7. High Noon...................................................................................1952
    8. Butch cassidy and the Sundance Kid................................................1969
    9. Dances with Wolves......................................................................1990
    10. The Outlaw Josey Wales..............................................................1976
    11. Gunsmoke..................................................................................1955-1975
    12. Destry Rides Again......................................................................1939
    13. Rio Bravo...................................................................................1959
    14. The Gunfighter............................................................................1950
    15. Red River...................................................................................1948
    16. The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly.................................................1967
    17. One-Eyed Jacks..........................................................................1961
    18. The Wild Bunch...........................................................................1969
    19. The Man who Shot Liberty Valance................................................1962
    20. The Great Train Robbery...............................................................1903
    21. The Shootist................................................................................1976
    22. Once Upon a Time in the West.......................................................1969
    23. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.............................................................1949
    24. Unforgiven..................................................................................1992
    25. Tombstone..................................................................................1993
    26. The Lone Ranger..........................................................................1948-1957
    27. The Virginian...............................................................................1929
    28. Winchester 73...............................................................................1950
    29. Blazing Saddles.............................................................................1974
    30. Fort Apache..................................................................................1948
    31. Angel and the Badman...................................................................1947
    32. City Slickers................................................................................. 1991
    33. Dallas...........................................................................................1978-1991
    34. The Naked Spur............................................................................1953
    35. The Big Trail.................................................................................1930
    36. Oklahoma.....................................................................................1955
    37. A Fist Full of Dollars.......................................................................1964
    38. The Wild,Wild West.........................................................................1965-1970
    39. The Man from Snowy River............................................................1982
    40. The Ox-Bow Incident.....................................................................1943
    41. The Man from Laramie....................................................................1955
    42. Blood on the Moon..........................................................................1948
    43. Duel in the Sun...............................................................................1946
    44. Will Penny......................................................................................1968
    45. 3:10 to Yuma..................................................................................1957
    46. Rio Grande.....................................................................................1950
    47. Bonanza.........................................................................................1959-1973
    48. Gunfight at the OK Corral.................................................................1957
    49. El Dorado.......................................................................................1967
    50. High Plains Drifter............................................................................1972

Well that's 50 out of 100...a cup of coffee and I'll type in the next 50 :huh:

Monique ;)

• Here goes the next 50 :huh:

51. Support Your Local Sheriff............................................................1969
    52. Have Gun Will Travel..................................................................1957-1963
    53. Cowboy....................................................................................1958
    54. For a Few Dollars More...............................................................1965
    55. Annie Get your Gun....................................................................1950
    56. Comes a Horseman.....................................................................1978
    57. The Son's of Katie Elder...............................................................1965
    58. Tumbleweeds.............................................................................1925
    59. Maverick....................................................................................1957-1962
    60. True Grit....................................................................................1969
    61. Giant.........................................................................................1956
    62. The Plainsman............................................................................1936
    63. Dodge City................................................................................1939
    64. Ride the High Country..................................................................1962
    65. Wagon Train...............................................................................1957-1965
    66. Alias Jessie James.......................................................................1959
    67. The Tin Star...............................................................................1957
    68. Rawhide.....................................................................................1959-1966
    69. Silverado....................................................................................1985
    70. Cheyenne Autumn.......................................................................1964
    71. Three Godfathers.........................................................................1948
    72. Lonely are the Brave.....................................................................1962
    73. Jessie James.................................................................................1939
    74. Warlock.......................................................................................1959
    75. The Good ole Boys........................................................................1995
    76. Arizona........................................................................................1940
    77. McLintock!.....................................................................................1963
    78 Cat Ballou......................................................................................1965
    79. McCloud.......................................................................................1971-1977
    80. The Grey Fox................................................................................1982
    81. The Alamo....................................................................................1960
    82. Two Mules for Sister Sara...............................................................1969
    83. Union Pacific.................................................................................1939
    84. Hombre.........................................................................................1967
    85. The life and the Ledgend of Wyatt earp..............................................1955-1961
    86. A big Hand for the Little Lady...........................................................1966
    87. Barbarosa......................................................................................1982
    88. Trail of Robin Hood.........................................................................1950
    89. Man Without a Star.........................................................................1955
    90. The Big Country.............................................................................1958
    91. Geronimo:An American Legend.........................................................1993
    92. The Cisco Kid.................................................................................1950-1956
    93. How The West was Won..................................................................1962
    94. High Chaparral................................................................................1967-1971
    95. Cimarron........................................................................................1931
    96. Junior Bonner..................................................................................1972
    97. The Big Valley................................................................................1965-1969
    98. The Phantom Empire.......................................................................1935
    99. Hang 'Em High................................................................................1967
    100. The Unforgiven.............................................................................1960

Ok theirs the list of the top 100 westerns. I don't agree with most of it. So Have fun with it. What is your 100 favorite Westerns? :unsure:

Well I'm off to work..Have fun with it.

Monique ;)

• Add Lonsome Dove on place 6 to Duke's credit - that's a project which was developed as a starrer for him, Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda. A casting made in heaven - but unfortunately...

• Back off work, just checking the board. After I get some sleep I will post [/B]John Wayne..Everything about him was Huge, A Soldiers Story[B] It's true life stories like this that make us true John Wayne fans. For he was much much more than an Actor.

the story comes from cowboysindians.com Sept 1997 issue. Check it out, or wait, I will write it here.

Monique ;)

• First of all, Thanks Monique. I'll check into the back issue.

Now, looking at the list. Some of these are not westerns. Maybe, I need to understand the defination of a western, before I start to voice my opinion. I don't agree with a few listed. I can't believe that McCloud was listed as a western when most of the series took place in New York City. I know he wore a cowboy hat, but so what! Even though I would accept Giant more than I would McCloud, that wasn't what I consider a western either.

This isn't a listing for AFI is it? Interesting list. I'd have to look at it carefully before commenting any futher.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• That would be great Monique! I have a few articles I'd like to post too.

I would like to put forth this proposal to the moderators and members, that a new forum for the John Wayne message board be put forth for voting. I'd like to call it "Media Articles" or something like that. Anything that someone has found like an interview, or story, by an actor talking about or had worked with John Wayne, or any feature article about JW, no matter how big or small, could be put here for all to read. This way, it would be easier for us to find or research. You would need to put the issue number, name of the magazine and date also, then it would be easy for us to reference.

This is only an idea that I would like to propose. :o

[SIZE=3]"Here's to you Duke, untill we meet again."[/SIZE]

• Baron,
    That is a great idea :rolleyes:

Hondo,
    Like I said in my posting of the top western movies in C&I Magazine. I don't agree with it. And I agree totaly with you on McCloud B) . so lets have some fun with this, I know if I write out my top 100, all the JW westerns will be on top. And it will give us all a chance to list all of our favorite JW westerns. :rolleyes:

Monique ;)

• hi monique,

i can't believe that C&I mag has man from snowy river in its top 100 westerns as it's not really a western it is in actual fact a movie produced from a poem by an australian poet call banjo patterson about the colt from old regret set in the high country of newsouth wales and victoria in aust.
    if you would like a copy of this poem i can type it up for you so that you can see what i am talking about. if you ever get the chance to watch it do so as the scenary is how it is in the high country.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Smokey,

From our perspective, you can't get much farther west than Australia, hence, "western".

Everybody in the movie is ridin' around on horses . . . with some of the most impressive riding scenes of any movie, western or not.

It appears to take place in the same general time frame as other westerns.

Looks like a western to me! :D

And my wife says the music from it is great.

Cheers,

Chester

• Monique,

You deserve a whole pot of coffee for typing in all 100 entries from C&I top 100 list of westerns!

I'd like to encourage all of you to take the link above, to the C&I website, then look for the January 2002 entry in the Archives list, and read the descriptions that go along with each of the 100 items in the list. Good reading!

I agree with you, that John Wayne's movies should all have been at the top of the list. :)

Thanks, Monique, for turning us on to this source.

Chester

• Monique,
    Thank you for the post on C&I magazine. I have to agree that you deserve a pot of coffee for typing out all 100 movies.

Brian
    Tulalip Wa

• hi chester,

well i suppose that for most of us aussies we think of westerns as being cowboys and indians. yes the music is great in the movie

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Ok :huh: Monique's list of the 100 top Westerns :unsure:

1. The Searchers (by far it's tops) --------------------------------- 51. My Darling Clementine
    2. Stagecoach (the breakthrough) ------------------------------ 52. Gunfight at the OK Corral
    3. The Shootist (fitting end to a great man) --------------------- 53. The Magnificent Seven
    4. Chisum (my favorite) ------------------------------------54. An Eye for an Eye (Pat Wayne)
    5. True Grit (mr. oscar) ------------------------------------------------ 55. The Wild Bunch
    6. The Big Trail (young and sexy) ---------------------------------- 56. Tombstone
    7. McLintock! --------------------------------------------------------------57. Winchester 73
    8. El Dorado ------------------------------------------------------------- 58. The Naked Spur
    9. The War Wagon (my first JW movie) -------------------------- 59. The Man from Laramie
    10. Fort Apache----------------------------------------------------------60. Destry Rides Again
    11. She wore a Yellow Ribbon ------------------------------------ 61. Will Penny
    12. Rio Grande ---------------------------------------------------------- 62. Last of the Hard Men
    13. The Horse Soldiers ----------------------------------------------- 63. Man Without a Star
    14. Hondo ----------------------------------------------------------------- 64. Hombre
    15. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance--------------------------- 65. Cheyenne Autumn
    16. Rio Bravo ------------------------------------------------------------- 66. The Tin Star
    17. The Alamo ----------------------------------------------------------- 67. Wagon Train
    18. The Comancheros------------------------------------------------- 68. Ride the High Country
    19. Red River ------------------------------------------------------------- 69. The Mountainmen
    20. 3 Godfathers--------------------------------------------------------- 70. Rawhide
    21. Angle and the Badman ------------------------------------------- 71. The Good, the bad, and the Ugly
    22. Big Jake -------------------------------------------------------------- 72. Fist Full of Dollars
    23. Cahill ----------------------------------------------------------------- 73. A few Dollars More
    24. The Train Robbers ------------------------------------------------- 74. Hang E'm High
    25. Rooster Cogburn --------------------------------------------------- 75. Pale Rider
    26. North to Alaska ---------------------------------------------------- 76. Outlaw Jossie Wales
    27. The Cowboys ------------------------------------------------------ 77. Unforgiven
    28. The Sons of Katie Elder ----------------------------------------- 78. 2 mules for Sister Sara
    29. Rio Lobo --------------------------------------------------------------- 79. High Plains Drifter
    30. Undefeated ---------------------------------------------------------- 80. High Noon
    31. How the West was Won ----------------------------------------- 81. Shane
    32. The Fighting Kentuckian ( I guess it's a western) ------- 82. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    33. Tall in the Saddle ------------------------------------------------- 83. Nevada Smith
    34. Shepard of the Hills----------------------------------------------- 84. Silverado
    35. King of the Pecos -------------------------------------------------- 85. Have Gun Will Travel
    36. The Dark Command --------------------------------------------- 86. Conagher
    37. Three Faces West --------------------------------------------------87. The Sacketts
    38. Wyoming Outlaw--------------------------------------------------88. Quigley Down Under ( This one I like)
    39. Three Texas Steers ----------------------------------------------89. The Desprerate Trail
    40. The Night Riders --------------------------------------------------90. Rough Riders
    41. The Man from Utah--------------------------------------------- 91. The Shadow Riders
    42. Hell Town-----------------------------------------------------------92. Last Stand at Saber River
    43. The Desert Trail--------------------------------------------------- 93. Crossfire Trail
    44. Neath Arizona Skies--------------------------------------------- 94. Monte Walsh
    45. Randy Rides Alone------------------------------------------------95. Lonely are the Brave
    46. The Star Packer ---------------------------------------------------96. Last Train from Gun Hill
    47. The Lawless Frontier --------------------------------------------97. Along the Great Divide
    48. Blue Steel----------------------------------------------------------- 98. Lownsome Dove
    49. The Dawn Rider ------------------------------------------------- 99. Young Guns
    50. Texas Cyclone----------------------------------------------------100. Young Guns II

Well that's my 100
    Any of the Dukes westerns I missed I have not seen B) :angry:

Monique ;)

• Monique, that is an interesting veiw that you have on the top 100 westerns movies. Right now I'm sitting in the Old Tulalip casino watching The Searchers on DVD. Right now Ethan has figured out that the raiding party is really a murder party. Ethan is telling Martin that it is a 40 mile ride back to the ranch so rest the horses. As Martin races off in panic, you can see all the worry in Ethan's face as he pulls the saddle off the horse and begins to wipe down the horses back. I can really see why C&I magazine made The Searchers all out number one.

Brian
    Tulalip Wa