RIP Charlton Heston

There are 79 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 19,714 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• It is truely sad to hear of his passing. Another great passes on. I remember befor VCR's and DVD's, The Ten Commandments and Ben Hur were big events in my family when they showed on TV. We'd all gather around and watch them. They usually stretched them out over 2 nights each, which made them seem even more epic. Rest in peace, Mr. Heston, you will be missed.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I was really sad to learn of the death of Charlton Heston particularly coming so soon after the death of Richard Widmark.
    I wrote to Charlton a couple of times and he answered quickly.
    He also liked the English and I heard of one occasion whe he heard a couple having dinner at the next table and asked them to join him, just so he could talk to them.
    His membership of the gun thing may have alienated him to some and his breakdown in health was sad.
    But a gentleman for all that.

RIP

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Really hate to hear that as he was always a favorite of mine.

I thought "Ben Hur" was one of the greatest movies ever made and I also loved his performances in "The Big Country", "The Ten Commandments" and "Will Penny". Didn't care much for those Ape things though.

Another reason I liked and admired him was his strong advocacy of gun ownership.

RIP, Mr. Heston. You'll be missed.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Don't worry about him being the president of NRA(gun thing). He was only mocked by the media and leftist elitest that have no clue what they are truly fighting against. He was doing a great service to thsi country and his legacy will hopefully only strengthen the NRA's position in the future.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• heared this news tonight (sunday) sad to see another one go to the big guy, but he must be wanting them all to come on home.
    RIP to him

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Mr. Heston enriched the lives of all of us. We were fortunate to have him in such epics as "The Greatest Show on Earth," "The Ten Commandments," "Ben Hur" and a host of other movies. He always seemed such a gentleman out of character (in interviews and such). Understand that he had alzheimers, so now his suffering is over. The big Guy upstairs needed him for something now.
    R.I.P. Charlton Heston.:cry2:
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I'm old enough to have lived through and viewed many if not most of the films produced during what is known as the "Golden Age of Hollywood", which I believe is the phrase used to characterize the Forties and Fifties (I've also seen most of the outstanding movies of the Thirties).

Anyway, after reading about the deaths during the past week of two of the stalwarts of that era, Richard Widmark and Charlton Heston, I began reflecting upon the fact that there aren't more than 3 or 4 noteworthy film stars of the "Golden Age" left on this earth. Maureen O'Hara, Tony Curtis, Karl Malden........can't think of any more. Can y'all think of any others I've forgotten?

Oh, I forgot Elizabeth Taylor.

• I'm old enough to have lived through and viewed many if not most of the films produced during what is known as the "Golden Age of Hollywood", which I believe is the phrase used to characterize the Forties and Fifties (I've also seen most of the outstanding movies of the Thirties).

Anyway, after reading about the deaths during the past week of two of the stalwarts of that era, Richard Widmark and Charlton Heston, I began reflecting upon the fact that there aren't more than 3 or 4 noteworthy film stars of the "Golden Age" left on this earth. Maureen O'Hara, Tony Curtis, Karl Malden........can't think of any more. Can y'all think of any others I've forgotten?

Oh, I forgot Elizabeth Taylor.

I believe both Olivia de Havilland and her sister, Joan Fontaine are still alive. Oscar winners and great actresses, both.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• I believe both Olivia de Havilland and her sister, Joan Fontaine are still alive. Oscar winners and great actresses, both.

I agree Ms. de Havilland was one of the greatest actresses of my lifetime. I really liked her best when she starred opposite Errol Flynn.

I never was that impressed with Ms. Fontaine.

• During my last assignment in Germany (1970-'74), I was sitting in my office one day when one of my subordinates ran in and breathlessly announed, "Hey, Sarge, guess who's down on the tennis courts?" I said "I have no idea". He then said "Charlton Heston". Naturally I said, "You're BSing me, right?" He said "No BS, he's really down there".

Well, since Mr. Heston was one of my favorite movie stars, I tore off down to the athletic field tennis courts to see if it was true. Sure enough, there the man was, big as life. I couldn't believe it.

I ran to my quarters and grabbed one of those big coffee table movie books (as a lifelong movie fan, I have several such books) and raced back to the tennis courts. After waiting for about half an hour for the man to finish his match, I shyly approached him as he walked off court and asked him to autograph my book. (I felt like an absolute fool, as I'm not ordinarily an autograph hound type, but decided I couldn't pass up the opportunity.) He very politely autographed my book, spoke a few very nice words, then walked away. I was on Cloud 9 for the rest of the day.

I later learned that his sister was married to one of the many generals we had on the post and that he had came to visit his sister for a few days. I treasure that book to this day.