Best Western Actor

There are 23 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,523 times. The latest Post () was by arthurarnell.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I am interested to hear from everyone on this. Other than Duke, who do you think is the best leading western actor on screen? To make this interesting, I'd like to know for the last 20 years. And A classic western actor of yesteryear? This is great! Have Fun!

Hondo :D

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hondo,

As far as new actors, I would have to say again that I really liked Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday, and I also thought that Kurt Russell was a good Wyatt!

I think I would like to see Kurt Russell in another western, I thought it fit him pretty well. I also thought that another good fit was Kevin Costner in Dances with Wolfs, again I would like to see him a western again

As far as the old westerns other then John Wayne I would go with Jimmy Stewart, Gary Cooper, Robert Mitchum, and Richard Boone.

Richard Boone difinetly makes a good bad guy!

Stacy

• Hi guys!I´m new here.
    I´ve been Duke-fan as far as I can remember and I really think that he`s THE BEST western actor of all time but the second best is Clint Eastwood.
    I do like Gary Cooper,James Stewart,Randolph Scott and so on but Eastwood`s films for example The Unforgiven,For A Few Dollars More,Outlaw Josey Wales are so powerful westerns that there is no question about it(to me):Clint Eastwood is the second best western actor and one of the best western directors as well.

• My choice for best western actor in the last 20 years would have to be Tom Selleck. He's really tried to bring the genre into popular viewing again. It's so hard to find a really good western story on the big screen anymore, but I've been pretty pleased with his last few TNT westerns on tv.

Other than the Duke, for the older generation star, I would have to say Jimmy Stewart or Robert Mitchum.

• Robbie,

You may be right, but I do enjoy other western actors, especially those who are in westerns with Duke. If I had to pick one western star after Duke, and that's a distant second; a long distant second, it would be:

Clint Eastwood.

He was really good in Hang 'em High, and (I can't remember the other movie). I didn't really like The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly. It wasn't a bad moive, It just left me a bad taste. That's it for me on that subject. And yes, that was more than 20 years ago, so Unforgiven would qualify for that

Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Anybody else wants to tackle this topic? I'd like to hear about other actors in westerns popular after Duke.

Hondo :rolleyes:

- John Wayne quote

• I am knew to this site, but not to western movies. I agree with all of you that John Wayne is easily the best. However, Sam Elliott is as close as anyone. He, Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones are all great. I think they are so authentic and believable that any modern western with one of them in it is going to be good. And put Tom Selleck in there too.

• I forgot to put one in from yesteryear, so i will put two. Ben Johnson. Even though he was often a supporting actor he was great. Another good actor was Alan Ladd.

Originally posted by Hondo Duke Lane@Apr 29 2003, 08:34 PM
    I am interested to hear from everyone on this. Other than Duke, who do you think is the best leading western actor on screen? To make this interesting, I'd like to know for the last 20 years. And A classic western actor of yesteryear? This is great! Have Fun!

Hondo :D

Ofcourse John Wayne is the best but also I like: Ben Johnson, Clint Eastwood, Henry Fonda, Lee van Cleef, Glenn Ford, Robert Mitchum and ofcourse James Stewart

Pleace come to my poll! What's the best John Wayne movie

JwFan

• I have to agree with Northerner. I think Robert Duvall did an awsome job as a cowboy (Ranger) in Lonesome dove. But as for a western genre actor, Clint rules after Duke. Clint was tough because of the way he handled a gun. Duke was tough because of his fists and guns. Tom Selleck is doing a great job making newer westerns and may be amoung the better of this generation. dukefan1

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I agree with Dukefan1...after the Duke we have Eastwood, Selleck, but then I would toss in Harry Carey and Walter Brennen (could anyone ever play a better old coot?)

Really a second category would be for best supporting actor...

Here you would have names like
    Ben Johnson
    Harry Carey Jr.
    Paul Fix
    Bruce Cabot

"...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

• Out of todays living actors I would say Sam Elliot

Brian
    Tulalip Wa

• Theirs alot of good western actors :)

I would go with

Robert Mitchum
    Jimmy Stewart
    Gary Cooper
    Ben Johnson

Monique ;)

• Just to throw in my 2cents I 'm glad to see Tom Selleck's name included. If I had to make a list I think it would be:
    1-John Wayne
    2-Tom Selleck
    3-Gary Cooper
    4-Clint Eastwood
    5-Sam Elliott
    Supporting Stars-1Ward Bond
    2Ben Johnson
    3Victor McLaglen
    4Walter Brennen
    I think it's time Selleck and Elliott get back in the saddle again in a movie.

• Sam Elliott is the best of the "newer" generation.
    Glenn Ford, who is largely underrated, was excellent in any genre, especially Westerns. I also think he
    had the fastest draw (remember his sidearm shooting motion) of any of the Hollywood cowboys.

David

• Hi I think it's got to be Walter Brennan I tell you who i thought
    made good cowboys also was
    would be
    Buck=Cameron Mitchell
    Manolito=Henry Darrow
    Blue=Mark Slade as Billy Blue Cannon
    Don Collier as Sam Butler
    Robert F. Hoy as Joe Butler
    and most of the cast apart from big John from High Chaperal
    Kid Curry=Ben Murphy Alias Smith and Jones
    and Ron Perlmen:D