Best Western Movie

There are 38 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 11,533 times. The latest Post () was by mary.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• What Western Movies other than Duke's are your favorites? Give me a Top 5 List. There are no wrong answers. Have fun with it.

Cheer!
    Hondo :D

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I like some of the Clint Eastwood movies - The Outlaw and Josie Wales is my favorite. I enjoy quite a variety of Roy Rogers movies as well, and his TV series. As a kid, I used to enjoy the Lone Ranger, and the Cisco Kid along with his pal Pancho. And for some beautiful horse footage, there's nothing like The Man from Snowy River.

For some reason, I've never particularly enjoyed Gary Cooper or Jimmy Stewart in cowboy movies, although I've liked them in any number of other movies.

Chester

• My favourite western of all time is The Culpepper Cattle Company. Gritty, dirty, realistic and ultimately sad. In some ways it reminded me of one of my favourite Wayne westerns - The Cowboys.

Luke Askew is my favourite western actor, albeit character actor. Trying to find info on him is bloody difficult though.

Kath

• :huh:

i think that "the man from snowy river" is a good movie even though it's not really a western as such but for us aussies it's as good as we get, it's based on a poem by A.B. (Banjo) Patterson published in 1890, the horsemanship is great and our brumbies are just as they are seen in the movie, have a herd living not to far from where i live. they are fast brutes and can travel at speeds of 80klm/hr, my father has raced them on a motorbike to see what speeds they could get up to. the movie is hard to get so if you find a copy grab it while you can.

and chester the snowy area is just like in the movie :rolleyes:

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• :)

I really like Tombstone, I think that Val Kilmer is the best Doc Holiday ever protrayed.

I also like Silverado, I thought it was done really well.

And what is the name of the movie that Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda is about Jimmy Stewarts brother dies and leaves him a brathal (sp) ? I think that is a funny western.

7 Mules for Sister Sara

And if you would consider it a western, Dances with Wolfs.

But to be honest, if there is a western on that is either new or old I will watch it! Are t.v. if on, is usually on one of the old movie channels! And by all means, the new westerns don't hold a candle to what the old westerns were! There were just too many great actors back then, of course John Wayne being on the top of my list, but there was also Jimmy Stewart etc. I don't think you could ever replace them!

Stacy

• Well,Hondo you know this is not easy since there is lot of great westerns that don`t have John Wayne but I´ll give it a try anyway.So my list looks like this(at least today I`m sure I´m forgetting many good westerns)For A Few Dollars More(best one from the Eastwood-Leone westerns)
    The Outlaw Josey Wales(best one from the westerns that Eastwood has directed...I know he won academy award with The Unforgiven and that movie is great also...but not as great as Josey :D )
    Once Upon A Time In America(Another masterpiece from Sergio Leone .Includes one of the best villain of all time in westerns:Henry Fonda`s Frank)
    The Wild Bunch(I`m not sure if you consider this film as a western but I do.Peckinpah`s best film ever)
    My Darling Clementine( the best John Ford western without John Wayne)

• Well,

This is pretty hard, but I guess I would pick the western movie in a non-John Wayne capicity would be:

The Magnificnet Seven.

There are many others I like but this one really pumps me up at times.

I do like My Darling Clemenine, High Noon (Duke didn't like that one), The Tin Star, The Rare Breed, just to name a few. Anyway, this is pretty hard due to the fact that Duke has the best ones in the western gerne, and no one comes close to that.

Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Stacy, I believe the movie you mentioned with Henry Fonda and James Stewart is "Cheyenne Social Club". Directed by Gene Kelly, believe it or not.

My fave westerns are:

Tombstone-Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer

Outlaw Josey Wales-Clint Eastwood

Unforgiven-Clint Eastwood (has anyone else noticed the similarity between the kid from Unforgiven and Outlaw Josey Wales?)

Heaven's Gate-Kris Kristofferson. A flawed epic, I will admit, but strangely compelling. A look at a dark chapter of western history and another angle of the ranchers vs. the settlers battles. Makes Starrett in "Shane" look gentle.

Ride the High Country-Joel McCrea and Randolph Scott. This is a biggie. One of the very best westerns. Early Peckinpah that packs a punch. Why, oh why, is this gem not out on DVD? It was out on laserdisc and is still available on vhs. The cinematography alone begs a widescreen release for the masses. This is what gets me when it comes to the powers that be at movie studios. They will put out DVDs of dreck, direct to video tripe, yet not obvious "prestige", or classic films like this one. Whatever. I will step off the soapbox. Suffice it to say that I love this one.

"You can call me father, you can call me Jacob, you can call me Jake, you can call me a dirty son of a bitch, but if you ever call me daddy again I'll finish this fight"

• I expect I'll forget a few but here goes.
    Lonesome Dove
    Sacketts
    Pale Rider
    Conagher
    Paint Your Wagon
    Good Ol' Boys
    Dances With Wolves
    Geronimo
    Tombstone

• Sorry Baron,

Duke was in How the West Was Won. He played Gen. U.S. Grant, and though his part was very little, he is credited in the movie.

Hondo :rolleyes:

- John Wayne quote

• Right Again Rick,

Give that man a cigar. Need to get that straight before posting. General Sherman is the one.

Hondo :)

- John Wayne quote

• That was a hard nut to crack, because there are so many great films in that genre.
    I can't possibly cut it down to five - so here are my ten favorites:

1. THE FAR COUNTRY (possibly the greatest of the Anthony Mann/Jimmy Stewart collaborations)

2. SHANE

3. MY DARLING CLEMENTINE

4. FRIENDLY PERSUASION (perfect casting, perfect directing, everything's perfect - one of Coops very best)

5. BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID

6. HIGH NOON (sorry, Duke - but I still like it)

7. THE MAG SEVEN (lots of fun - and it has McQueen)

8. GUNFIGHT AT THE OK CORRAL (the chemistry of Lancaster & Douglas - and the ballad of Frankie Laine)

9. WILL PENNY (something of a change)

10. COWBOY (Delmar Dave's and Glenn Ford's best work - very authentic)

so where can I put THE PROFESSIONALS, BEND OF THE RIVER, 3:10 TO YUMA, THE WESTERNER, THE LIFE AND TIMES OF JUDGE ROY BEAN, and THE GUNFIGHTER - they belong in my 10-best-list, too! :(

• In my opinion, Lonesome Dove was the best non-Duke weastern ever made. It was more true to the real west then most and darn entertaining. The Outlaw Jose Wales comes in second. Third would be The Jack Bull Story with John Cusack. It was an HBO movie and I think was very well done. Forth would be Pale Rider with Siverado coming in fifth. dukefan1

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• The Western genre is rich with great movies, here are six of my favourite non John Wayne movies. In no specific order

1. Shane
    2. High Noon
    3. Calamity Jane (Its innocnet fun)
    4. Winchester 73
    5. Unforgiven
    6. Good the bad and the ugly

B)

Regards
    Robbie

• Hey,

Nobody mentioned Cat Ballou? What's wrong with that one. I mean it had Jane Fonda, she's one great american western gal.

:lol: Just-a-Kidding.

I won't get it, and I won't see it or any Jane Fonda movie. I met with some Vietnam Vets on a weekend several years ago, and the subject came up about Jane, and one actually meeting with him as a POW. It was a very interesting conversation with the gentleman, that has enlighten me to no end about Hanoi Jane. And because I have a lot of respect for that man and others who fought in that war, I will not see anything she has on screen. That's my tribute to those men.

Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• One of my favorite non-duke westerns is probably The Magnificent Seven. I also like some of the newer Westerns with Tom Selleck. I like that they are trying to revamp the genre. Also, it's not really a western in the classical sense, but I like Last of the Dogmen with Tom Barrenger. It has some beautiful shots in it, and a very good storyline.